Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Re: Hen house

Originally Posted by moetmum ->
Lucky hens.

I have a redundant hen house that with a bit of care could be brought back into use. I have been toying with the idea of saving some battery hens and will be interested to see how yours settle in.

I built our first hen house complete with the nesting boxes. My dad was a carpenter and I picked up all sorts of knowledge from him.
They will be here in a couple of weeks. Watch this space - I will post photos and let you know how everything is going. Maybe you should get some ex-battery hens. It has been really rewarding watching the others down the allotment progress from poor little specimens to proud birds with their full plumage.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Wow! That's a beautiful hen house - those rescued hens will think they are living in a palace! Really lovely.

Look forward to seeing pics of it with the rescues when you get them.

Good for you for rescuing.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Here's the chicken run - I will be attaching the hen house to the outside. Today I feel every one of my 50 years - I am not used to physical activity and have nearly killed myself. It is definitely fox proof - I have chicken wire buried underground. I will also be running some flagstones around the edges too.

dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2010, 08:58 PM

That looks really nice and sturdy; sounds as if you will foil Mr. Fox! I'm assuming that's you, nice to see you! Relax and put your feet up with a drink of whatever, you earned it with all that hard work. Can't wait till the chooks come.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

16-05-2010, 09:15 PM

That's me Eileen!!!! (Need to drop a few pounds but who doesn't?)
The girls will be here next weekend, but I expect they won't be in the best of health due to being ex-battery hens. But those girls are really going to be cared for.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2010, 09:42 PM

It will seem like heaven to them, I'm sure! Poor things have never been out in the fresh air, scratched in the dirt or any other things chickens like to do.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

16-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Thanks Eileen - I will keep you posted with photos
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2010, 10:10 PM

Looks great, PPH, can't wait to see the hens settled in...
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2010, 12:22 PM

I want some chickens too now

What's involved with looking after them guys? Do they sort of look after themselves or does it take much work?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I want some chickens too now

What's involved with looking after them guys? Do they sort of look after themselves or does it take much work?
Have a look here Azz, it should answer some of your questions

Another useful site

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top