Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Re: Wild and Windy Wednesday

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I tend to have a bit of faith in those predictions from nature. After all, humans lived closely attuned to the signs of the natural world for millennia before modern civilization and it's attendant gadgets like satellite images, etc. Are you going to have a heavy acorn crop this year; that's one I really believe in; when the mast is heavy it's usually a bad Winter.
Hi Eileen It was only this morning when I was out walking round the reservoirs with a friend, that we commented on how many acorns were on the paths. So with the berries on the holly bush and lots of acorns on the paths, doesn't look good for winter
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 10:21 PM

T think I'll start a thread ........
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 10:40 PM

I tend to have a bit of faith in those predictions from nature. After all, humans lived closely attuned to the signs of the natural world for millennia before modern civilization and it's attendant gadgets like satellite images, etc. Are you going to have a heavy acorn crop this year; that's one I really believe in; when the mast is heavy it's usually a bad Winter.
Originally Posted by merz ->
Hi Eileen It was only this morning when I was out walking round the reservoirs with a friend, that we commented on how many acorns were on the paths. So with the berries on the holly bush and lots of acorns on the paths, doesn't look good for winter
Not a recognised sign of a hard winter but I noted with relish the copious quantities of hazel nuts on a bush in the field.
They are not ready yet but would you believe I noticed today the squirrels have already had every one

The walnut tree outside the Doctors house which has not born a nut in the 30 years I have lived here is also covered in nuts, perhaps nature is telling us something...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 10:48 PM

Oh my! That sounds a bit ominous, Meg!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 10:51 PM

Oh my! That sounds a bit ominous, Meg!
I am looking out my flannelette nightdress and bed socks as we speak
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am looking out my flannelette nightdress and bed socks as we speak
Don't forget the nightcap, Meg
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 11:12 PM

....and the hot water bottle
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

07-09-2011, 11:40 PM

I am LOST without my hot water bottle! Leia won't sleep on my cold feet!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Not a recognised sign of a hard winter but I noted with relish the copious quantities of hazel nuts on a bush in the field.
They are not ready yet but would you believe I noticed today the squirrels have already had every one

The walnut tree outside the Doctors house which has not born a nut in the 30 years I have lived here is also covered in nuts, perhaps nature is telling us something...
"Sometimes you feel like a nut........ Sometimes you don't"!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Lol
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by merz ->
There are two large oak trees in our back garden, they usually produce lots of acorns anyway but this year it seems there's twice as many. The holly bushes are full of berries too.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top