Join for free
Page 24 of 79 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 74 > Last »
anekico
Liverpool UK
anekico is female  anekico has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2010, 12:32 AM

Re: What do you remember???

Our Woolies sold everything for 6d but I am not old enough to remember that.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2010, 12:40 AM

Yep, buzzie, crisps are what we call chips ... but they do have Kettle Chips in the UK, IMO the best potato chips ever made!
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Moli ->
Ok, who wore mini skirts and platform shoes in their teens then???I did, infact my skirt was more of a belt!
I had a mini skirt that was 11" long I can remember all those cleaning agents and the mangle I bought a dress in a sale at Modelia it was £2 (then a third of my wages) and it was a jersey wool dress one of those mini dresses that was made up of 4 pieces each side in red and white and I washed it and put it through the mangle and it ripped it from top to bottom it broke my heart .. Do you also remember the white patent boots with lacy legs hehe Who was a mod and who was a rocker? I was a mod... Oh happy days
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2010, 11:39 PM

I forgot to add my grandad used to make chitterlings(don't know how to spell it) from intestines they were nice with salt and vinegar, scratchings and we always had pigs trotters on a Saturday afternoon with home made bread...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2010, 11:44 PM

"Chitlins" (chitterlings) are a very popular soul food item here in the African American community; never eaten them; they sound like other "innards" foods like tripe or brains that I can't contemplate eating.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 01:24 AM

My mother used to make brawn from pigs head, she would also serve tripe and onions and faggots. The brand name of the faggots was Brains and I thought that was what they were made of.

I had the most incredible bright yellow mini dress, like your dress suey it cost most of my wages that month but it was beautiful.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

21-03-2010, 02:14 AM

My mom was from Pennsylvania, and brawn was very popular in the German descended people there.... I could never bring myself to eat it. I was a bit old when mini skirts were in, but had good legs (still do!!) so wore them occasionally.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 10:30 AM

"Chitlins" (chitterlings) are a very popular soul food item here in the African American community; never eaten them; they sound like other "innards" foods like tripe or brains

Good grief!!-chitterlings??-I remember them. I think I had them once but I was only little. A lady in the village used to sit and prepare them as I recall.

I have only worn a short skirt once--and no picture of it exists-only my top half as some may have seen
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 12:02 PM

My mum and gran used to like chittlings bought from a pork butcher but I remember once when we had a pig (Wally) which we fattened up for the table/freezer, they set to to make said delicacies.
They are, indeed, made from the small intestine, and the essential thing is to get them clean. They used a garden cane to turn lengths of the squiggly stuff inside out (like you would if sewing a belt for a dress etc) thus allowing all the, err, well, you know what it would be, to be cleaned off. I think they were cooked by boiling, but don't remember that bit. Nor did I eat any. I guess you would if push came to shove.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
My mum and gran used to like chittlings bought from a pork butcher but I remember once when we had a pig (Wally) which we fattened up for the table/freezer, they set to to make said delicacies.
They are, indeed, made from the small intestine, and the essential thing is to get them clean. They used a garden cane to turn lengths of the squiggly stuff inside out (like you would if sewing a belt for a dress etc) thus allowing all the, err, well, you know what it would be, to be cleaned off. I think they were cooked by boiling, but don't remember that bit. Nor did I eat any. I guess you would if push came to shove.

Well if push came to a shove in my case DM, I think you have put me off for life with your description!

Page 24 of 79 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 74 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top