Join for free
Page 21 of 55 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 > Last »
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2012, 10:26 PM

Re: What books are you reading now?

Finished The Good Husband of Zebra Drive very quickly, they are thin books. Now starting Cold Fire - Dean Koontz
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 12:20 PM

At the moment I am going through some of the Tom Sharpe books again. I've re-read Blot on the Landscape and now I am on The Throwback. I don't know how he thinks these plots up and I lay in bed reading and laughing.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
At the moment I am going through some of the Tom Sharpe books again. I've re-read Blot on the Landscape and now I am on The Throwback. I don't know how he thinks these plots up and I lay in bed reading and laughing.
I will look for Tom Sharpe as I do like a good laugh and I can never think of a funny clever author.

Read Steven Fry's Diary of Mrs Fry and was very disappointed tell the truth it was rubbish.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 02:21 PM

Almost finished reading "Meet Me Under The Ombu Tree" by Santa Montefiore. Nearly gave up on it, but glad I perservered as it is enjoyable. A story about forbidden love and gives a good description of life in Argentina.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
I will look for Tom Sharpe as I do like a good laugh and I can never think of a funny clever author.

Read Steven Fry's Diary of Mrs Fry and was very disappointed tell the truth it was rubbish.
Some of Tom Sharpe's stuff can be a bit rude, Cookiecate, but I think he is very funny if you like a bit of anarchic comedy.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

19-01-2012, 12:52 AM

Just finished reading, The Barbed-Wire University: The Real Lives of Prisoners of War in the Second World War by Midge Gillies.

A lengthy tome by any standards but at last a truly accurate book on historical events that have been the subject of comics, books, films and TV. Most of the time these have all been glamourised so much that the actual facts vanished.

The meticulous research Ms Gillies has obviously undertaken stands her in good stead and I would guess she drew great inspiration from her father who was a POW.
I found the accounts relating to the Far East POW's particularly moving and also the stories of many people who later made their way in the world of entertainment like Clive Dunn and Denholm Elliott were fascinating, truly resourceful and remarkable people but John Wayne, they were not.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Some of Tom Sharpe's stuff can be a bit rude, Cookiecate, but I think he is very funny if you like a bit of anarchic comedy.
Ann Archy is my middle name and I do love a bit of rude now and again.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2012, 09:30 AM

Just started reading 'Perfect People' by Peter James - good so far.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

28-01-2012, 12:59 PM

Just started Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly seems like a good read.

Have put in a requst at the library for a Tom Sharpe book.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2012, 01:40 PM

I am an avid reader but I can't bear parting with books, I think I have more than a library ! I've just finished reading The Flying Carpet to Baghdad by Hala Jaber, excellent book but quite heart rending. Love all books by Christian Jacq, Clive Custler, Colin Deaver, basically I'll read anything. Only gave up on one, The Long Walk to Freedom..Nelson Mandella biography, it was the most boring book I have ever come across.

Page 21 of 55 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top