Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2013, 10:57 PM

Re: Should voting be compulsory?

Many folks gave so much to give us the right for a free vote, and maybe it is incumbent on us to exercise this right, but it is a sad affair that that the recipients of these votes behave the way they do.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2013, 11:21 PM

I agree yes compulsory voting .
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 12:37 AM

Surely we are a democracy and free to have a choice on if we vote or not. If people are not voting then there is something wrong in the political world not with the voters. Just what will you achieve with compulsary voting, a dictatorship stupid idea they need to recconect and engage with people

Again with the same old tripe people are lazy, i suspect they no longer trust the present encumbents of any of the 3 main parties.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I wouldn't mind voting being compulsory, but they would need to add a "none of the above" category to the voting papers, to avoid people having to vote for someone they didn't necessarily support.
The major problem at the moment is that there is almost no difference whatever between the three main parties - all are in thrall to corporate capitalism, all support the undemocratic, bureaucratic, federalist EU, and all are in favour of pretty much unlimited immigration - which is why UKIP has done so well recently.

Unnecessary, you can just spoil the paper, leave it blank or write on it what you think of the candidates.

To overcome the second part of your objection you need to introduce preferential voting so if you want to vote for a minor party or an independent your vote is not wasted. (as discussed elsewhere)
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 01:39 AM

We have compulsory (weekend) voting here in Australia and even if some people choose to make an invalid vote, I still think it makes for a more representative gov't and I think if you haven't voted you shouldn't complain about what you get.

I always remember my dear old Dad who was greatly interested in politics and elections and then at 92 he forgot to vote and he was automatically fined - I managed to get him out of it on the grounds of memory loss. He was mortified.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Grouse ->
Surely we are a democracy and free to have a choice on if we vote or not. If people are not voting then there is something wrong in the political world not with the voters. Just what will you achieve with compulsary voting, a dictatorship stupid idea they need to recconect and engage with people
Voting is a civic duty. It should be considered in the same light as jury duty, it is part of your contribution to the society you live in.

Think about whether you would like to be tried before a jury of volunteers?

Compulsory voting only means that you have to get your name crossed off the list as you pick up the ballot paper what you do with it after that is up to you. We have pre poll voting and postal voting so it is not hard to fulfil such a small obligation to your society every few years.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
We have compulsory (weekend) voting here in Australia and even if some people choose to make an invalid vote, I still think it makes for a more representative gov't and I think if you haven't voted you shouldn't complain about what you get.

I always remember my dear old Dad who was greatly interested in politics and elections and then at 92 he forgot to vote and he was automatically fined - I managed to get him out of it on the grounds of memory loss. He was mortified.
I didn't realize there was such a thing as compulsory voting, nor that people were fined for failing to vote. Interesting idea.

I have worked at polling stations twice in the past 3 years and noted quite a number of immigrants with new citizenship turning out to vote as well as a surprising number of young people. It seems the ones most indifferent are the ones in their thirties and forties. Just an observation from my corner of the world. I agree that if you don't vote you shouldn't complain about the outcome or consequences.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=Grouse;274199]Surely we are a democracy and free to have a choice on if we vote or not. If people are not voting then there is something wrong in the political world not with the voters. Just what will you achieve with compulsary voting, a dictatorship stupid idea they need to recconect and engage with people

mb; in a dictatorship you wouldn't be allowed to vote !
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 03:39 PM

You all seem to be missing the point in the recent election 70% of the UK chose not to vote, their democratic right, ythey are the majority yet the minority seem to be demanding that they are in the right, make voting compulsory and fine those that dont making them criminals.

Why are you ignoring the fact that people have stopped voting, its a worldwild malaise . My local election held on a fine sunny day with the polls open for 15 hours only managed to get a 32% turnout, i was first in the line when the polling station opened, only the 3 main parties fielded a candidate, for the post of mayor. Not one of the 3 ever knocked on my door, just the usual non specific leaflet from a couple posted through the door.

Tring to find what they actually stood for was a joke, not one would commit to anything prefering to take cheap shots at the opposition. Is it surprising people feel its a waste to vote for them.

I took the Richard Pryor option, "none of the above" it will be interesting to see how many more spoiled votes were posted.

I would like to see any party go down the compulsory vote road, i reckon it will be another poll tax fiasco. I for one would do all i can to oppose such.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 05:19 PM

I do believe voting is your duty .. I'm not sure that fining people if they don't vote is a good idea though.
(mind, I can think of no alternative 'punishment')
Similar thoughts here to another post in another thread - we taught our children to take voting seriously.
They voted accompanied by us for their first time - we went as a family.
A bit like getting your driving licence, voting and having a 'legal' pint - you are now an adult.

Since marrying and leaving home, I've no idea if they do still vote but I suspect they do.

I do realise, it is your democratic right not to vote and looking at the local candidates and politians in general, I can sometimes see why people don't turn out.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top