Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 03:09 PM

Re: Childproof tops, agggg.

Its a sad fact that with ageing often comes arthritis - these tops must be a nightmare for those sufferers
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 03:17 PM

Talking about arthritis tops are a bit of a nightmare but I have a lid opener that I bought from Bettaware years ago it is just a rubber top that covers the lid and then you can twist the lid off much easier.

The thing that winds me up is the shampoo for 'older' hair it is a devil of a job to squeenze the bloomin stuff out of the bottle. Dove the makers of the pro-age shampoo offer full and thick hair but they don't take into consideration that although I still want to look good the old joints 'ain't not wot they used to be.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Here is a tip which works for me on all those tops which say either 'squeeze' or 'press here'

First you somehow have to get the top off (That's the hard bit!) then place it on a bench upside down, take a sharp utility knife (aka Stanley knife) and slice down one side, then the other side, and then the whole 'safety' bit can be removed and you are left with the ordinary 'proper' type of screw on cap. When you next buy a bottle of the same stuff simply remove the 'childproof' top and replace with the ordinary 'proper' top, and you can keep using it ad infinitum

If you do this please think about how you hold it and please use a sharp knife, anything blunt will likely end up with you minus a few fingers

I was determined I would not be beaten by these things
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 05:13 PM

I hate them and the tops in milk bottles that won't peel off! I am not good with my left hand since an accident a few years ago and find them awful - not user friendly at all!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 05:56 PM

I know the pharmacist will do adult packaging, but it's the OTC ones that are almost impossible to open, I've often resorted to using a pair of pliers to force the lid off ...... takes a while, a lot of huffing, puffing and cursing, but gets it done!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 09:34 PM

Losos' explanation about how to transform the childproof cap into a normal one was interesting, but I can't quite see myself doing that without some damage to me! My solution is to chuck out the cap and make one out of foil wrap instead. Works for me.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2009, 01:48 PM

Good idea Losos. I have problems with these childproof tops because I have damaged both of my thumbs and can't put much pressure on them, its so frustrating.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2009, 01:59 PM

I once had to take a hammer and chisel to a jar of Nescafe. I could not open it, no matter how I tried. I have a bottle/jar opener thingy but because the top of the coffee jar is shaped I just could not get a grip on it, with anything. So in the end I battered my way in through the plastic lid.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2009, 05:24 PM

I think the pull off cover over the milk is the worst thing it makes me realise I can't even knock the top off the milk.

I had to laugh at the hammer and chisel to the jar of coffee you must have really needed your caffiene fix.

I also find that opening a package of cold meat to be a difficulty solved only by my trusty pair of scissors.

This thread made me think and I have written a letter to Dove telling them of my difficulty using their products.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

28-12-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
I think the pull off cover over the milk is the worst thing it makes me realise I can't even knock the top off the milk.

I had to laugh at the hammer and chisel to the jar of coffee you must have really needed your caffiene fix.

I also find that opening a package of cold meat to be a difficulty
ssolved only by my trusty pair of cissors.

This thread made me think and I have written a letter to Dove telling them of my difficulty using their products.
Same here!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top