Join for free
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 12 13 14
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 10:07 PM

Re: Should voting be compulsory?

The trouble with Preferential voting is it dilutes passion.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
..and does require some skill with numeracy.

signed
X
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
..and does require some skill with numeracy.

signed
X
Yes, bloody numbers, Viva the Binary Code.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 12:22 AM

You should read earlier posts first, this has already been covered ....

... this is absolute drivel ...
Informal voting is approximately 3 to 6% ....
so over 90% of the enrolled population makes a proper vote.
Compare that to less than 65% of the enrolled voters that bothered to turn out in the last UK election.

Instead of making uninformed comments why not find out first instead of recycling idle gossip?
Gee, thanks for the cordial welcome on my first day, Brucie.

SO sorry I did not read back through a dozen or so pages on this topic - only the last couple.
It must be absolutely horrible for you if a point is made twice - albeit with a variation.

Now, regarding the "drivel" -
your implication that if x% of people cast an informal vote the balance must make a "proper" vote seems passing strange.
"Instead of making uninformed comments" perhaps you should ponder the number of people who are not enrolled ?
I suggest you check the census figures for those of voting age in this country compared to the actual number of (valid and/or informal) votes cast ...
THEN compare that to the voting turnout in the USA (as I stated) not the UK - about which I made no comment.

You may very well be right - and I welcome that - happy to be proven wrong - thereby I learn stuff.
But your attitude and your logic in this instance seem a tad lacking ?
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

31-05-2013, 01:20 AM

You number them in order of preference it's the whole point of preferential voting. It was carefully and clearly explained in one of the references.

Bruce - she lives on the Isle of Man remember - MB taps side of left brow with index finger!
mindbender
mindbender is male 

31-05-2013, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
what would you know about passion - seen none around here!
mindbender
mindbender is male 

31-05-2013, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Gee, thanks for the cordial welcome on my first day, Brucie.

SO sorry I did not read back through a dozen or so pages on this topic - only the last couple.
It must be absolutely horrible for you if a point is made twice - albeit with a variation.

Now, regarding the "drivel" -
your conclusion that if x% of people cast an informal vote the balance must make a "proper" vote seems passing strange.
"Instead of making uninformed comments" perhaps you should ponder the number of people who are not enrolled ?
I suggest you check the census figures for those of voting age in this country compared to the actual number of (valid and/or informal) votes cast ...
THEN compare that to the voting turnout in the USA (as I stated) not the UK - about which I made no comment.

You may very well be right - and I welcome that - happy to be proven wrong - thereby I learn stuff.
But your attitude and your logic in this instance seem a tad lacking ?
steady lads - I'll put another snagger on the barbie! Marg - more beers doll!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
[B]
?
Easily done; US turnout 2012 election was calculated to be about 57% of registered voters.

The last figure I read was about 1 million + people in Australia are missing from the rolls but it is far too hard to say why, some are obviously 18 year olds who have not registered and another lot those who have moved recently and not reregistered.

If you look at the US figures then these are a trivial % compared to their eligible voter figures compared to registered. Their eligible to registered is something like 60% in places.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, I treat you with greater sensitivity in future.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

31-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Easily done; US turnout 2012 election was calculated to be about 57% of registered voters.

The last figure I read was about 1 million + people in Australia are missing from the rolls but it is far too hard to say why, some are obviously 18 year olds who have not registered and another lot those who have moved recently and not reregistered.

If you look at the US figures then these are a trivial % compared to their eligible voter figures compared to registered. Their eligible to registered is something like 60% in places.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, I treat you will greater sensitivity in future.
God I never thought I'd hear an ozzie say that must be the pink gins!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

31-05-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
what would you know about passion - seen none around here!
Passion is a finite, non-renewable resource, so should be saved for the brief periods of time that matter.

Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 12 13 14

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top