Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2013, 07:09 AM

What Came First

The Chicken or the Egg?, does the discovery of Ovocleidin prove the Chicken came first?, and was the first one a Hen or a Cock?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2013, 07:22 AM

Re: What Came First

What the heck is Ovocleidin?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
What the heck is Ovocleidin?
it would seem it is a building block, fundamental in the production of an Egg Shell.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2013, 07:30 AM

Right, I've looked it up and it confirms what I was told years ago that the chicken came first, some change in genetic structure caused it all to happen and it looks as though this Ovocleidin is the change. My question now is: why did it affect all chickens and wasn't just the odd abnormality?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Right, I've looked it up and it confirms what I was told years ago that the chicken came first, some change in genetic structure caused it all to happen and it looks as though this Ovocleidin is the change. My question now is: why did it affect all chickens and wasn't just the odd abnormality?
Surely that is just the way evolution works? Birds are related to dinosaurs, didn't dinosaurs lay eggs (I have no idea whether hard or soft shells)? the harder shell is just a genetic variation which had some advantage hence it stayed around (evolution doesn't go backwards) and was probably improved upon.

The reason all chickens have hard shelled eggs is because at sometime in the distant past when there were birds with both hard(er) and soft(er) shelled eggs the birds with hard shelled eggs had a breeding advantage and out-bred the soft shell producing birds until the later died out. That is what evolution does and how species change over time.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2013, 08:50 AM

I always thought the toast soldier came first and chickens kindly decided to provide eggs for us to dunk into LOL
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

16-05-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Surely that is just the way evolution works? Birds are related to dinosaurs, didn't dinosaurs lay eggs (I have no idea whether hard or soft shells)? the harder shell is just a genetic variation which had some advantage hence it stayed around (evolution doesn't go backwards) and was probably improved upon.

The reason all chickens have hard shelled eggs is because at sometime in the distant past when there were birds with both hard(er) and soft(er) shelled eggs the birds with hard shelled eggs had a breeding advantage and out-bred the soft shell producing birds until the later died out. That is what evolution does and how species change over time.
So would Ovocleidin make the shell harder or just affect the embryo inside?

Also, I'm not so sure about evolution not going backwards - according to this chap, that is what will happen (and some of us, after reading his descriptions, would state his projections are a tad too far into the future )

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6057734.stm
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The Chicken or the Egg?, does the discovery of Ovocleidin prove the Chicken came first?, and was the first one a Hen or a Cock?
How do they know it wasn't a duck?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

16-05-2013, 04:30 PM

Good point Twiz!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2013, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
How do they know it wasn't a duck?
Wasn't 'Orville' was it .....?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top